Thursday, June 20, 2013

Crochet

Oh me oh my, I need to get back on the blogging bandwagon.
I decided not too long ago that crochet was a life skill I did not possess and that perhaps I should do something about it.  A friend of mine made some gorgeous scarves for her girls that I really envied, and the final tipping point was another friend suggesting we set up a stitch and bitch group for crochet, so I had to learn.


I got a few books out of the library, and taught myself.  It is really not that hard when you have a good book to show you how to do it.  I heartily recommend The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman.  All your questions answered (well almost, I didn't find out how to make a htr from her, but I knew enough by that stage to take a wild guess) and lots of nice pictures to show you exactly what she means.

Speaking of wild guesses I must say the best best thing about crochet is that it is very forgiving.  If you lose your place or end up with too many or too few stitches at the end of a row, never fear you can bodge it up and it still looks OK!  Much easier than knitting where discovering a dropped stitch 5 rows down the line is soul-suckingly painful.

So that was it, I was hooked.  Pardon the pun it is rubbish.  I'm not a fan of granny squares I haven't made one yet and so far have no intention.  I got another rather hilariously covered book from the library, but so far haven't tried anything from it.  I think I just loved the title and cover, it still makes me laugh.


I cannot ever imagine creating or wearing the item on the cover.

So more my style is amigurumi.


I got this great starter book by Ana Paula Rimoli and whipped up a couple of the things inside in next to no time.  I liked her stuff, but there were a couple of niggles in it.  Since making her teddy hot air balloon I came across a nice tutorial online for how to prevent your stripes having a noticeable join in them, and also for some reason Ana never uses a magic circle which is strange. However, armed with the knowledge Ana gave me I started work on my great project, a crochet Beegu.




No comments: